Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Today My Daughter Wants a Cat

My daughter, spiritually linked and obsessed with kittens since birth, has been given the opportunity by a well-meaning, evil teacher, to adopt a male, black cat. Excited beyond rationality, she calls me from home last night to tell me all the awesome details. "He's black and he's much younger than Cosmo (our other cat), he's already fixed and Mrs. Ezelle says we can have him and she'll even deliver him to our house!"  Her excitement is uncontainable. "You've been looking for another cat, mom, and you said that the Universe would send us one when we're supposed to have one and here he is!"

Now how could anyone argue with that kind of logic? I calmly responded, "I have not been looking for another cat! And anyway, if he's already fixed, he must be at least 6 months old, Katy, he won't get used to the dogs easily and he'll already be set in his ways. We need a tiny kitten. One we can raise with our other animals so it will not be afraid of them. Tell Mrs. Ezelle thank you, but her cat is meant for a different family."

Then she turns it on. For twenty minutes she put the hard core press on me, listing viamently the reasons why she needs this cat in order for the earth to continue rotating on its axis and the sun to come up tomorrow.

"We'll discuss it in the morning." I said. I had already said no, but then I said we'd discuss it some more. Amature. But it got her off the phone so I could continue my dinner with my friend.

The next morning, the first words out of her mouth upon waking, "He needs a home, mom, we can't just turn our backs on him! He's the cutest cat in the world and I know he wants to come live here with us. Mrs. Ezelle said he's very sweet and would make a great cat for someone!" Her face is red and wet with tears.

"If this is such an awesome, perfect cat, why doesn't Mrs. Ezelle just keep him?" I asked.

"Because she already has a dog, and because she's not home alot." Katy explained.

"We have three dogs and a cat and we're not home alot either. Would it be fair to this cat to bring him into our family under the circumstances? There is someone who needs him. Someone who lives alone, with no other pets or people. Someone out there is lonely and needs this cat. But not us!" I tried to reason with her, but she was beyond hearing it.

Quiet Rage stomped away from me in a ball of frustration. "You always say no, I knew you would say no, I don't even  know why I even asked you!" She yelled and slammed her bedroom door.

"I never say no! That's why we have three dogs!" I yelled up the stairs at her. I know just how she feels, though; a fact which makes me want to say yes. I love kittens too. Probably as much as she does. I would save every one of them if I could. But as it is, we are doing our part already with 3 rescued dogs and a rescued cat. Hey, I wonder if the pound has any baby kittens.





No comments:

Post a Comment