Sunday, April 24, 2011

Being In The Now IV

Today was bittersweet. Bitter because I said good-bye to three people who have become very dear to me over the past several years, as one goes to a new appointment in another city and two others go off to college. Sweet because I know that blessings await all three of them. Bitter because their absences leave holes both in my heart and in areas of service where I have come to rely on their gifts. Sweet because now I am forced to be flexible and receptive to change, however uncomfortable that might be. That equals character building opportunites for me. My immediate nature is to panic, to greive, to worry over the uncertainties that lie ahead, to resist the changes that are inevitable and to doubt my own abilities regarding leadership, experience and talent. These are all issues that arise when the focus is placed on the future. So, instead I will place the focus where it belongs...in the NOW.

Right now...

My throat aches with held back emotion

I have school work to do that I'm too tired and too distracted to tackle

A Chihuahua vs. German Shepherd World Wrestling Championship is happening LIVE right behind my chair

My children are passed out in their beds, stuffed full of Easter candy and boiled eggs

There are 15 loads of laundry, minimum, waiting to be done

Something died in the wall between my bedroom and the kitchen and the smell is horrifying

My grandpa's Gibson is calling my name from the music room "Melody...play me, play me NOW!"

My re-heated Starbucks Pike Place is a total blessing

Tears well up, are fought back, then well up again

I am quiet

Now...I let go and allow myself to pour out the sadness that comes with hard good-bye's

Right now...it's perfectly acceptable to cry. I love you and will miss you all very much! Live long and prosper!



People I love gathered for Fred's farewell party at Tate Farms. Notice Jesse and Matt Kings of the mountain and Fred the solid foundation. Go and do great things! I'll never forget you guys!


2 comments:

  1. I was heartbroken when the first Pastor I worked for, the one who brought me to Christ and gave me an opportunity to serve, took a new appointment. If he hadn't, I wouldn't have met Pastor Tom, the other hero of my life. When Pastor Tom moved on, I cried, still do sometime when I think about it. If I hadn't moved on, I would have never met Pastors Dorothy Ann and Fred who for me are the greatest mentors of humility and grace and genuine Pastoral care. It is still hard, I cry with you. I miss with you. I thank God with you for the new faces of Jesus He sends our way. xxoo

    ReplyDelete
  2. I laughed out loud at some of your listed items, AND got chills from others. What great lessons I've learned over the past couple of years with Pastors DA and Fred. I'm also thankful for such a close church family. I've never experienced such until now. HE really works in mysterious ways. I too am saddened, and feel a loss. God knows his plans for me, and I'm looking forward to what the Lord has instore for my future and CVC. It is however hard to adjust to change. Thanks is only instore for your "IN the NOWS", I absoltuely look forward to seeing them posted! ((HUGS))

    ReplyDelete