Sunday, April 24, 2011

Why I Watch Star Trek

For years I have been a Trekkie. Star Trek Voyager is my favorite of all the different shows that bear the Star Trek name. It doesn't get any better than a female starship Captain who loves the long forgotten hot earth beverage, coffee. "It keeps you sharp," she explains, when questioned by her coffee ignorant Ensons. I agree! Now, you may have noticed that there is a United Federation of Planets decal on the back window of my car and even a Klingon Empire emblem on the driver's side window (both Christmas gifts from my mom). Before you make your plans to impress me with your "you might be a dork" jokes...let me explain why I'm a fan:

1. The Enterprise is always clean and organized (no one tracks in dirt and no one has to clean up)
2. Women are treated equally (people are smarter in star date 2044535)
3. There is a nice low hum on the enterprise that makes me relax
4. Messes, clutter and stuff you get sick of looking at can be thrown in the replicator
5. You can have all the synthahol you want and you don't have to drive home
6. You don't have to think about what to wear to work (and you get to wear patent leather boots!)
7. If you need to know anything you just ask the Computer
8. You can communicate with anyone in your neigborhood just by touching your com badge
9. You can set your phaser to stun if you just need to warn someone to back off
10. You can vacation to anywhere in the galaxy with a short walk to the holodeck
11. There are very few stupid people aboard the Enterprise
12. The crew calls female Captain Jayneway "sir" (that makes me smile)
13. Everyone knows their role and exactly what their contributions are to the collective
14. AND all religions, races and customs are respected aboard the Enterprise

I could go on, but I'm sure you get the idea. Being earth bound and limited only to those experiences which occur on this planet has always been a frustrating fact of life for me. Watching Star Trek can transport you to distant galaxies and introduce you to all kinds of species and cultures, all of which never fail to shed light on some human axiom that is proved idiotic by the end of the episode.

Star Trek is intelligent television. It teaches tolerance, peaceful coexistence and the prime directive,  also known as Starfleet's General Order 1, it's most important binding principle about noninterference in another culture's internal affairs, natural development and progression.  In other words, mind your own business. I could get behind that! (do not be tempted to extrapolate political ideas here, I am not politically minded or motivated). On Star Trek, all cultures are respected. What an awesome, albeit alien, concept that is!

So, live long and prosper. And next time you flip past Star Trek, give it a chance. You might come away with something you can use. What other show on television can you say that about?

This entry inspired by a hot cup of Earl Gray, enjoyed from my favorite new Star Trek mug, given to me by a very dear friend. Thanks for the cup, Fred, and for the intelligence you impart daily.

3 comments:

  1. That's more than I have ever known about Star Trek Melody. It makes sense to me. I think you should send that somewhere for your fellow Trekkies to read. Very cool!
    P.S. Where could I get one of those stun phasers?

    Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree Mom, let's search for one tomorrow. Very nice reading Melody:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Absolutely love it! Star Trek is awesome... always preferred Next Generation myself but Voyager was good too.

    ReplyDelete